Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Day 2 chemo

We were admitted Sunday night for Hydration. The 1st port access went good and involved only a little screaming. Lily spent some quality time in the play room until I was too tired and insisted we get some rest. Lily had just fallen asleep before midnight when the nurse came in with meds she just had to take. Lily did not agree. Much screaming ensued. And kicking. And thrashing and flailing. It was ugly. In fairness to lily; everytime she falls asleep here she wakes up with another owie. I finally get her back to sleep. She fortunately sleeps through the next 2 series of vitals. By morning not only is she hydrated , they throw a diuertic into the mix. We were supposed to start at 6, it's already 8 and we have made 85 trips from the potty to the playroom and back. Every time we go by the nurses station, they are talking about the lily show. I think we are all just waiting for Julie to get here to work this out. By noon we are ready to start the cisplatin. We have a meeting with Julie about the midnight waking tantrums. She tells lily she needs a codeword to wake up happy. Lily chooses the word 'cock a doodle doo'. So every time they have to wake her up , they have to say 'cock a doodle doo'. I guess if it does not work, at Least I 'll be entertained. One of the nurses finds a rooster picture in a magazine and posts it in the room. Today 's task. . . Taking yucky meds. so far there's like 4 she has to take orally 3 to 4 times a day. I think her tummy is a bit icky, she hasn't eaten anything this morning and does that cough that makes me grab the bucket. Most of the symptoms will be cumulative. Its hour to hour. I am beginning to think the possible hearing loss is god's way of preserving sanity with the incessant beeping of machines in this joint.

2 comments:

  1. Praying so hard for you guys...
    -Nate and Audrey, Altus AFB, OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hugging my computer...can you feel it? I love you, Friend!

    ReplyDelete

Lily Kay Monkey

Lily Kay Monkey
November 2008 Photographed by Shelley Detton (7 Layer Studio)