Friday, November 14, 2008

Dessert

So Wednesday was a busy day. Lily and I were on the way home from the doctor's and I was in the drive-thru to get her ice cream...I look back to ask her what kind she wants and she is slumped over, drooling all over herself, sound asleep. I order her nuggets for when she wakes up- they'll keep better. We get half way down Fort Weaver when traffic stops. She wakes up and begins screaming. I try to give her the nuggets as a peace offering. The nuggets I got her are NOT ice cream. No, if they were ice cream they would be a melty gooey mess. We make our stops which includes a visit and some play time. We finally get home and as they are scarfing down dinner Lily reminds me- "I get ice cream cuz I was good at the doctors." I'm tired, I've already thrown PJ's on- can we go tomorrow? NO. Oh allright. I grab the cash Great Grandma sent for ice cream- I load them up and off we go. We are halfway there when Lily asks whose birthday it is. Every day she asks whose birthday it is- without fail. I tried making up names- it made her angry. I guess I'm not good at making up names. But Wednesday would have been Uncle Bob's birthday and she was pleased to hear it. Kiera points out that we didn't make a pineapple upside down cake. Every year in honor of my brother Bob's birthday, we make his favorite cake- part of keeping his spirit alive. I point out we are going to get ice cream- uncle Bob would be OK with that. Phillip-in an ever astute way says- 'I bet Uncle Bob already had his Pineapple upside down cake in heaven.' So tonight-better late than never- I gave up on cleaning, ignored the mountain of laundry and we made the pineapple upside down cake. I had to borrow 2 eggs and we didn't have any pineapple- but we made the cake. I put extra cherries on- because really I think that's the best part. A year ago I would have run to the store, gotten eggs and pineapple and been exhausted by the time we even started the cake. Today I was exhausted to begin with- so what if the cake didn't have any fresh pineapple on it? The kids and I kept with tradition- even if it was a little late and the cake was cherrylicious.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Jenny for celebrating. It made the day a happy occasion with a happy memory. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so nice that you guys did that. Tear...

    ReplyDelete

Lily Kay Monkey

Lily Kay Monkey
November 2008 Photographed by Shelley Detton (7 Layer Studio)