Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Permission from Death

Stop looking, stop worrying. If it is death you fear, fear no more. I found it, I should say him. He who gives permission to die. Many of you may be familiar with the shootings in Arizona where Congresswoman Giffords was shot with many others. Of the 6 that died and 14 others that were wounded- I wonder if their families' will seek solace in the fact that the man who controls death is near. Dr. Rhee, a former Navy surgeon declared that Giffords has a "101% chance" at survival and that "she will not die. She does not have that permission from me."  I do so love me a surgeon with a complex. I remember one from the Columbine shootings all too well. Appearances on the news and programs like Oprah only serve to exacerbate the egomaniacal tendencies. Although I am not the authority on surgeons, I have had quite a bit of experience with them- the good and the bad. Either this man has my sense of humor, which is entirely possible- or he has a God complex- which is entirely probable. Either way- I was compelled to put my 2 cents in......here's the article that piqued my interest followed by the actual email I sent.


http://www.tucsonsentinel.com/local/report/011111_giffords_breathing



Dr. Rhee,



I recently read your much publicized quotes regarding Mrs. Gifford’s status as having “101 percent chance of survival” and that she doesn’t “have permission from you” to die. I hope these comments were taken out of context, as they often are- and perhaps you have a bit of a sense of humor in dealing with the media. If that is the case, read no further and continue your important life saving work . If she has a 101 percent chance of survival- you either are making a joke of the gamble in “predicting” survival or are cockier than a spaniel in heat. I also seek to introduce myself to you as I have a genetic condition that predisposed me to many cancers and an early death and if death requires permission from you- I would definitely like to be in your acquaintance.



I remember the case of a certain retired Army surgeon who treated gallantly many of the Columbine victims. I have great respect for both soldiers and surgeons alike. To be both is awe inspiring. I also personally watched the downfall of that surgeon who thought himself bigger than life. He thought he could do no wrong and would be beyond reproach. Although a fine officer at the time and a very brilliant surgeon once- he now holds no medical license and is hard pressed to find someone to either insure or hire him in any capacity. I urge you to temper your brilliance with a little care, as no man is immune from downfall, or death.



Regards,

Jennifer Mallory

1 comment:

  1. You ask me if I have a God complex? I am God.

    Couldn't resist ;)

    -Alison

    ReplyDelete

Lily Kay Monkey

Lily Kay Monkey
November 2008 Photographed by Shelley Detton (7 Layer Studio)