Friday, October 17, 2008

The rock is out.

The rock was successfully removed along with Lily's adrenal gland this morning. Around 11:30 Dr. E brought a covered bucket by the waiting room and in typical Connolly/Mallory fashion- we jumped up to see the thing that has caused so much distress. I'm not much of a fisher, don't care to eat them, smell them or see them- but I get the "I once caught a fish this big..." jokes. For us it is now- " I once saw a tumor this big.." and I hope it will be the last I have to see. It was about the size of a softball and I'm sure by tomorrow it could very well be the size of a watermelon...but 8 centimeters was definitely a guess on the small side. She got to keep her kidney and her liver. She is a true champ. She has about a 6 inch incision on her right side about an inch above her belly button along her ribcage. The lump in her leg also came out and Dr. E had no guesses as to what it was. But from what I hear guys dig scars- so she's got two good battle wounds. I will give the gory details down the road so I don't start blubbering in front of the kind nurses who let me sneak onto the internet... She will be in the ICU for a day or two and then a few more days in the peds unit. We are hopeful that Dr. E got all of it- it looked very well encapsulated- although my degree in pathology is still pending. We will not know the tumor type for a few days. Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers- they have made all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. Jen, thank you for being so dedicated to this blog. You are an amazing writer and it is great being so informed. Please give Lily a hug "from some friends she doesn't know but who love her very much."
    Hugs, Heidi

    ReplyDelete

Lily Kay Monkey

Lily Kay Monkey
November 2008 Photographed by Shelley Detton (7 Layer Studio)