Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wilted Lily

The scans went well, if you consider constant nausea, headache, grogginess and a trip to the ER in the middle of the night- well. We have learned that a certain anesthetic is Evil, with a capital E. Lily had a really difficult time waking up, which although not unusual- was particularly bad. There was much screaming and writhing and general malaise. By the time she and Phil got home around 5 pm(for a scan at 11......) she still was very groggy only to wake to complain of aches and pains.

I think by 7 she requested to go to her bed, continuing the same behavior. I've talked with friends who have had similar experiences with this drug and was warned the effects could last up to 8 hours. She felt warm to me, so I took her temperature- it was 99.7 under her arm. Ugh that means 100.7. Technically a fever. Phil and I agreed to wait and see. I put cool cloths on her, gave her a double dose of hydrocortisone and laid down for a midsummer's nap as she drifted off- it was about 3 winks until lil Phillip was shaking me. Mom- I heard Lily cry. I got up- by the time I got to her room she was asleep again- but one touch to her head and I knew we were in trouble. I rinsed the cloths and laid them over her whole body- which woke her up- which was fine, I needed an oral temp. 104. Mother beetch. Time to go. I page the on call doc. Phil comes in- what is it? 104. Yep she needs to go to the ER.

By the time the bag is packed I hear the beeping of the thermometer again- it's down to 102.5. Still very, very bad. We never got a call back, Phil pages the doc again. Still no call. Off we go. The ER was efficient and ran cultures and blood counts and took samples- no cause to be found. They give her some fluids and more tylenol and hydrocortisone. The fever breaks. Her sodium is a little low- but that's it. Unexplained febrile condition. great. It wasn't an adrenal crisis, which I feared. The ER doc said if it was crisis, she would have been throwing up, a lot. At 02:30, she was back home and drifting off on the couch- at least coherent in between naps. We are to give her triple doses of hydrocortisone- I'll probably throw some salt in there too. Poor monkey.

The scan results should be available in 48-72 hours- at least the official report from the radiologist. The ER wanted us to follow up with Peds, but we will prob follow up in oncology since they know her better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily Kay Monkey

Lily Kay Monkey
November 2008 Photographed by Shelley Detton (7 Layer Studio)