Sunday, October 20, 2013

This week in History

I tend to get reflective in October. October is a huge month for us historically. From Phil and my official, not so official "first date" to crazy punkin traditions and finally the cancer tradition. 5 years ago this week we found out Lily had a stage 3 adrenocortical carcinoma and an aggressive sarcoma.
I remember researching and seeing the words poor prognosis  and 5 year Survival rates less than 50%.  At that point I couldn't think-I didn't want to think. I couldn't imagine a world without Lily and none of the research was helping me to decide about treatment for her. A good friend told me to stop researching and go be a mom.  So I did.  In the process of being a mom- the doubt shrouded in survival numbers and rarity faded and the fighter that is Lily appeared. The decision became easier.  I knew we were going to get through this.

This week marks the 5th Anniversary of Lily Monkey being cancer free. I looked back at our past 5 years and they have been anything BUT cancer free. But the amazing thing is that we get to Look BACK!!  Here's a look back over the past five years and here's to many, many more 5 year Cancerversary Octobers together. Click the year to Read Blogs of this week from years past.

Last year.  2012

2011

2010

2009

2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily Kay Monkey

Lily Kay Monkey
November 2008 Photographed by Shelley Detton (7 Layer Studio)