Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Life in the fast lane.

This time of year- can I say it enough- Holy Busy Batman!

This past weekend we had Kiera and Lily's dance recital Saturday afternoon and St. Baldrick's Sunday. of course it was drill weekend- which meant Phil was working.

Plans have to be malleable. I was really looking forward to watching the girls dance. They love it and have fun and it shows. That is what makes it fun to watch. The recital was on the other side of the island. Kiera was caravanning with her ballet mistress- since they had to be there really early. I tried to get up to wish them well- but I just didn't have the energy. I just missed them but as soon as I got downstairs, there was a soft knock on the door. Phillip's girlfriend was here to make them breakfast. I knew they had a breakfast date- I just didn't know it was here. So I grabbed Bella and we went and got McDonald's and came back. Just that activity and I was ready for a rest.

I laid down and my phone rings. It was the ballet mistress. Kiera was in a bit of a fender bender- it was ok no damage, no injuries, and it was with her. everything was fine. They are just cars.

I rested a bit then showered and gathered Bella. Phillip was getting ready for work and Boo and I had to stop by the store to get leis for the girls. While at store, Boo decides she needs a pair of handcuffs- $2- battles- I'm, picking them- this isn't one.

We head to the highway and are moving along, the exit is coming up, traffic comes to an abrupt stop. I slam on the breaks- look in the rear view to check Bella and see the motorcycle behind me trying to stop. He fishtails, the bike is going down, he bails and slides off towards the shoulder, the bike bangs into the back of my van. I pull over to the shoulder- tell Bella to stay put and get out of the car. The motorcyclist is down and a couple cars have pulled over and are either helping him or directing traffic. I call 911 while holding an umbrella over the motorcyclist.

The motorcyclist is talking but in a lot of pain. His right ankle got caught under the bike when he bailed. 2 guys were helping him. Another family pulls over and calls 911 too. The ambulance arrives, they take him inside. He's got some road rash and maybe broken bones, but he's going to be ok- everyone else leaves. I chat with the firefighter.  I know I have to stay- but the HPD has not arrived yet. I was about to call 911 again when the officer pulls up. The firefighter fills him in and mentions I am trying to get to my daughter's recital. The officer says we will be as quick as possible. He checks on the motorcyclist and then hands me a clipboard for my statement. He asks for my license and registration- he says I can fill the form out in the car.  As I get to the car- I look in the window- Bella has handcuffed herself to the handle. Oh dear God.

Sweet child please uncuff yourself before the officer sees. I look at the time- The recital is starting now. Tears. Bella asks if the the guy is ok and says the motorcycle made a loud thump when it hit the car. I tell her he's hurt but he's going to be ok. I fill out the form and take it back to the officer. He asks if I'm ok, if my passenger is ok, the car has a scratch. I tell him- I'm fine, Bella is fine, really I want to make sure the motorcyclist is OK and get to my daughters' recital safely. That is all- the car is just a car.  He hands me the incident report number and sends me on my way.

In the car I take an extra hydrocortisone and debate maybe taking 2. Just to cover the stress. But mostly I want to get to the recital. We get there- score the last parking spot, dash(I cant say run, I could say lop fastly) into the hall. No one is around- up 3 flights of stairs. I just need to sit. I missed Kiera's first number- but have seen it before. I glance at a program- I didn't miss Lily's. The tears just keep falling. I can't stop them. Exhaustion, relief, the gamut. And somehow I still made it to see the girls dance. And it was beautiful and totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily Kay Monkey

Lily Kay Monkey
November 2008 Photographed by Shelley Detton (7 Layer Studio)