Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Day 15 of 21. Pieces of Paradise.

We live in paradise. Although the definition of paradise in our house changes rapidly. Paradise is clean scans, a snuggle on the couch, a warm breeze, a good night's sleep. The weather this year has been really strange. It is also weird for me to think that we've lived here for a decade. This year I'll be here as long as I lived in Colorado and Ohio. Each one of these places holds a special piece of home.

One of the good things about drill weekend is the off Monday after it. Especially when it's not a chemo Monday! We just laid there in bed as the sun came up. A piece of paradise- the sun beams in through the window in our bathroom- the color is so warm and happy- it is sunshine.

What do you want to do today Ferb?

Would you be up to going to the beach? Phil asks. Do you think the girls would want to surf?

Beach days are usually reserved for social functions and guests- it feels utterly luxurious to consider it when the honey-do list is so long. But as last night reminded me- sometimes you gotta just have fun. Let's do it.

Getting ready for and cleaning up from the beach is usually my biggest deterrent. Especially after spending the previous day cleaning- but that is just the thing- there is a lot of sand in paradise. I slather the girls in thick sunscreen- I've decided the spray on kind are just crap. Convenient yes, but between breathing in the toxic chemicals and the less than stellar coverage(you still have to rub to get it even) and the fact that one can lasts about 1 trip to the beach in our family- I'm over it. We all look rather aboriginal.

It's a beautiful morning. Fluffy clouds. Some rain clouds hanging on the horizon. A pretty decent break. I don't surf. It's one of those things that doesn't appeal to me. I love that the girls give it a go.  They jump right in the water and are playing in the waves- great body surfing waves and they are tumbling around like clothes in the washer- somehow finding that feeling to be enjoyable. I miss the flexibility and rubberiness of youth. I am happy though to sit there and vicariously laugh through them. It is a wave of paradise.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily Kay Monkey

Lily Kay Monkey
November 2008 Photographed by Shelley Detton (7 Layer Studio)